The Greyhound Bus Museum in Hibbing


After dropping by Dylan's boyhood home, I remembered that Hibbing is home to the Greyhound Bus Museum which I had on our list of places to visit, so soon enough we somehow found ourselves in the parking lot of the museum, being the only car in the lot and the only visitors at that time.  Admission was $9 for all three of us.

The host and hostess were an elderly man and a younger woman (who seemed to be in charge as she took our admission fee and was wearing a museum t-shirt).  The older fella introduced us to the museum, and then asked his companion how he did, whereupon she replied, "You haven't lost your touch." 

I have to say that I somewhat enjoyed my stroll through the museum, which explores the beginnings of Greyhound Bus Lines which, believe it or not, had its start in Hibbing, Minnesota. We watched a 20 minute video of the history of Greyhound from 1914 to 1987. It was clearly a corporate propaganda piece and, while watching it on a TV straight from the 1980's), we sat in old bus seats that actually reclined!  There were also old Greyhound buses, including a classic 1956 Scenicruiser made by GMC, in an attached garage that we were allowed to explore, and lots of memorabilia from over the years. There were also even more buses outside the museum on the grounds, but Clare and Conor refused to let me out of the car to visit these museum pieces!

I asked Clare and Conor what they thought of the museum.  Clare: "We were the only people there and there were two enormous greyhound costumes, like on a mascot, but on mannequins. I think that sums it up." Conor: "I felt as though I was sent back in time."
 Watching the video in real bus seats!
 How did it become Greyhound?
In front of a 1956 Scenicruiser: 
A mosaic from a Greyhound Bus terminal lobby, either from the Dallas or Waco, Texas terminal:




Comments